Once a class and assignment have been created, the instructor or students are ready to begin submitting papers and using Turnitin. If the instructor is planning to do the submissions of papers, please skip to the next section, Submitting Papers.
Students must be enrolled in a class to submit papers. Students can self-enroll by creating a user profile using the class ID number and class enrollment password. You can enroll students in a class one by one or by uploading a list of e-mails and student names.
If you choose to add students to the class directly, each student added to the class will be automatically e-mailed and provided with instructions on how to create their password. If the e-mail address entered when adding a student is not valid, the student will not receive an e-mail. For this reason, students who do not possess valid e-mail addresses must enroll themselves using the class ID and enrollment password.
Students self-enrolling into a Turnitin class must have the numeric class ID and the case sensitive class enrollment password. This provides a student user with authorization to access the class on Turnitin. Please do not post the class ID and password on a publicly accessible website; this is to ensure only your students enroll in your class.
1. To confirm the class ID and enrollment password, click on the statistics icon next to the class name under the statistics column on the Turnitin instructor homepage.
2. The class ID and enrollment password are displayed as part of the class statistics.
If needed, you can change the enrollment password to remove accidental capitalization or spaces that may be causing student enrollment issues. Changing the enrollment password after student enrollment is completed also prevents students with forgotten passwords from enrolling multiple times and causing confusion.
To change the enrollment password, click on the edit icon for the class on the Turnitin instructor homepage. Update the enrollment password and click on submit to save the change.
An instructor may add students individually to the class. You must provide first name, last name, and e-mail address for the user. A welcome e-mail will be sent to the student being added to the class.
If the e-mail address provided already exists on a user profile on Turnitin, the user welcome e-mail indicates only that the user has been added to a class as a student.
If the Email address provided by the instructor has never been used to create a Turnitin profile before, a new user welcome e-mail is sent. The student is provided with a temporary password for logging into Turnitin to complete the user profile.
1. From the class homepage click on the students tab to open the student list for the class
2. Click the add student button
3. Enter the required information - the student first name, last name, and Email address
4. Click submit to enroll the student. A welcome Email will be sent to the user.
You may upload a student list to add to a course. The student list must be one hundred (100) entries or less. Larger classes may be separated into multiple lists, each of which can be uploaded individually.
The list must be a Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, or plain text (.txt) file. The first name, last name, and Email address for each student must be provided. The formatting must be as follows:
Once the student list is available, the list may be uploaded from the student page of the class.
1. From the class home page, click on the students tab
2. Click the upload student list button
3. Click the Choose File button and locate the file containing the student list on your computer.
4. Click submit to upload the student list file
5. The student list will be displayed. Check the displayed list for errors. To submit this list, click yes, submit. If you find any errors, or the incorrect file was selected, choose no, go back and make the necessary changes or select a different file for step 3
6. Once yes, submit has been selected the final screen will display the newly enrolled list of student users. To return to the class student page, click the return to students link in the top right-hand corner
As soon as students are added to a class a confirmation Email is sent to the Email address provided. If the student has an existing user profile, the confirmation Email contains only notification of the new class enrollment. If the Email address used was not for an existing student user in the Turnitin system, the confirmation Email will allow the student to create their password.
New student user profiles that have never logged in are indicated with a pink highlight over the enrollment date to the left of the student name on the student list page.
You can re-send the welcome Email to student users who have not yet logged into Turnitin. You can also change the Email address or name information to fix any incorrect information in the event that a student no longer has access to the Email address used initially for the user profile.
Students who did not receive the enrollment Emails will need to check junk mail or any other mail filters (such as parental filters on Email account) and ensure that they are able to receive Emails from firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com before the welcome Email is re-sent.
Student users who have logged into Turnitin one or more times cannot have this information reset by yourself and must use the Forgot Your Password? link on the Turnitin homepage.
You can re-send welcome e-mails from the student list page of a class. To reach the student page, click on the class name and then the gray student tab above the assignment list.
On the students page, any students who have never logged in and completed the information on the user profile will have a pink highlight over the date in the enrolled column to the left of the student name.
To re-send the activation Email, click on the pink highlighted date to the left of the student name.
Check the user information and make any needed changes to this information.
To send the new user confirmation and welcome Email, click on submit. A new copy of the welcome e-mail, including temporary password, will be sent.