The creation of a class or classes on the Turnitin system is the first step in allowing an instructor and students to access and use the services available at their institution. Most instructor and student activity on Turnitin occurs within the class or classes created by an instructor.
The class is used by the instructor to organize students and student submissions into groups. A single class may be used for multiple courses, but is typically not recommended due to the additional challenges this can create in organization. A class and its assignments are fully available to the instructor between the date of the class creation and the selected expiration date. Once a class has expired, the information and assignments in the class are viewable, but no new submissions or assignments may be made. The instructor is capable of extending the expired class to reactivate it.
New classes should be created each semester or school year when a new group of students is in a course. Assignments can be easily imported to a new class using the directions under the Libraries section of this user guide. This allows users to easily add assignment sets in a new course.
1. Click the Add Class button on your instructor homepage
2. On the next screen, enter the following information:
Note: Your class name should be between 2 and 100 characters long.
3. Select the end date for the class. Once the end date has passed, the class will not be accessible for submissions unless the class is reactivated.
4. Click submit to add the class. Class information will be displayed in a pop-up window containing the ID and enrollment password for confirmation
Every class created on Turnitin has an end date. When the end date is reached, the class expires and is limited to read-only access and will no longer appears on the active classes list.. The students and instructor will no longer be able to submit papers or peer reviews, create assignments, or mark any of the papers using GradeMark.
To view expired classes only, click on the Expired classes tab on the Turnitin instructor homepage. The All Classes tab, to the left of the Expired Classes tab, will list both active and expired classes.
An expired class can be only reactivated by the instructor. The edit icon can be used to reactivate the course by giving it a new end date. The instructor can change the end date of the class from the class update screen. Once the end date has been changed, the instructor must click on submit to save the new end date and reactivate the class.
Turnitin allows instructors to easily copy classes for reuse in another semester or year. When a class is copied the instructor is prompted to enter a new class name, enrollment password, and the start date for the first assignment in the class. The remaining assignment and discussion dates for the class will automatically be set based on the start date you set for this assignment.
1. Click on the class copy icon to the right of the class name
2. On the next screen, edit the following information:
3. Select the start date and time for the first assignment for the class
4. Click Save to copy the class or Cancel to abort the process
5. You will then be directed to the copied class' page, where you can review the dates for the assignments in the copied class. Edit any assignment dates by clicking on the More actions link to the right of the assignment, and then select Edit settings from the dropdown menu.