The reflection assignment is a written document that, unlike paper assignments, is not analyzed for originality, nor can it be graded. However, a reflection can be viewed in the document viewer. The reflection assignment allows a student to reflect on their submitted paper assignment, allowing a student to detail what they learned from writing their paper assignment, what they plan to improve on, the areas of their assignment in which they did well, and elements of their writing that they plan to transfer into other assignments.
The reflection assignment must be connected to a paper assignment in Turnitin, and cannot be created without. A reflection assignment is beneficial to institutions promoting writing development, and while not part of a PeerMark assignment, is often a good follow up to a peer review, as a means to reinforce the lessons of peer-reviewed work.
1. From the class portfolio, click on the Add Assignment button
2. Select Reflection Assignment by clicking on the radio button to the left of Reflection Assignment. Click on the Next Step button
3. Select the paper assignment that the reflection assignment will be associated with
4. (Optional) Enter a reflection assignment title
5. (Optional) If you are a grade book user, you may enter an option point value. This is the maximum number of points a student can receive from an assignment. E.g. 100. By setting a point value, this allows the grade to be set by rubrics (if used) and be sent to the grade book
6. Select the start date and time, due date and time, and (if available) post date and time for the assignment
7. (Optional) Enter any special assignment instructions for your students
8. Click submit to add the reflection assignment to the class homepage
The reflection assignment will stack beneath the assignment it is associated with. Students submit to the reflection assignments in the same way any normal paper submission would be made using Turnitin.
Note: Originality Reports are not generated on submissions made to reflection assignments. If the instructor user needs Originality Reports, a normal Turnitin assignment or a revision assignment should be used.