This Student QuickStart Guide will help you get started with Turnitin and will walk you through the steps for submitting your first paper. To begin, you need to first register with Turnitin and create a user profile if your instructor has not already enrolled you to their class.
If you have received a welcome email from Turnitin, this means that your instructor has already enrolled you; simply click the Create password link and follow the instructions that follow. This will then allow you to log into Turnitin with your email address and new password. Proceed to Step 2 in this QuickStart guide if you have received an email.
1. To register and create a user profile, you must have been provided with a class ID and enrollment password by your instructor.
2. Go to the top of the page at turnitinUK.com (for UK users only) or turnitin.com (for users outside of the UK), and select your language from the drop-down menu.
3. Click the Create Account link on the homepage, which will open the Create a User Profile page.
4. Click the Student link and fill in the required information in the new user profile form.
5. Once you have created your profile, click the I Agree button to successfully log into Turnitin.
Note: If an instructor enrolls you in a Turnitin class, you do not need to follow the steps above; simply follow the instructions in your welcome email.
The class you're enrolled in will show up in your Student Homepage. Click on the name of your class to open your assignment inbox.
Your Assignment Inbox shows the assignments that your instructor has created, along with key submission dates, and any submissions you have made to these assignments. The assignment inbox provides access to the Turnitin document viewer, where you can view your Similarity Report and any feedback provided by your instructor.
1. To submit a paper, click the Submit button next to the paper assignment.
2. The paper submission page will open. Enter a title for your paper.
3. Click on one of the submission buttons: Choose from this computer, Choose from Dropbox, or Choose from Google Drive, then select the file for submission.
Turnitin accepts submissions in these formats:
4. After entering a title for your paper and selecting a file, click Upload to upload your paper.
5. If your paper is in a format that we do not accept, you can submit it by using the cut and paste method. To submit a paper this way, select Cut & paste upload using the pull-down at the top of the form.
6. Copy the text of your paper from a word processing program and then paste it into the text box in the submission form. If you submit your paper using the cut and paste method, you can skip the next step.
Note: If the assignment is set to accept any file type, students may upload any file type to the assignment.
The paper you chose to submit will be in the preview section after upload. Look over all of the information and make sure that it is correct. To confirm the submission, click the Confirm button.
After you confirm your submission, a digital receipt will be shown. A copy of the receipt will also be emailed to you. To return the assignment inbox and view your submission, click the Return to assignment list button.
To view your Originality Report, click on the Originality Report icon to the right of your assignment.
By default, students cannot see their own Similarity Reports. If you see Not Available, rather than a Similarity Report icon in the assignment inbox, then your instructor has disabled the ability for students to view the Similarity Report for this assignment. If you would like to view your report, contact your instructor.
If your instructor has provided feedback on your paper within GradeMark, students are able to view the feedback after the post date of the assignment. The post date is the date whereby your instructor should have left feedback on your paper. When the post date passes, all students are able to access instructor feedback within GradeMark by clicking on the blue View button.