All users must create a user profile. However, if you are an existing Turnitin user, please skip to guidance on Logging In.
There are two ways for a student to access Turnitin:
Warning: Each Turnitin account must be assigned a unique email address in the Turnitin system. Users who have previously created a Turnitin account must log in with the email address and password originally provided.
If you have received a welcome email from Turnitin, this confirms that your instructor has added you to their class, allowing you to begin submitting papers to your assignments.
Note: If you believe that an instructor has added you as a student, but you have not received a welcome email from Turnitin, please check your spam or junk folder. Alternatively, contact your instructor to check that your email address has been typed correctly.
To access your Turnitin account, please follow the instructions below.
1. Click the Get Started button from your Turnitin welcome email.
2a. To create your password, enter your email address (this must be the same email address to which your Turnitin welcome email was sent), along with your last name or family name.
2b. Click Next to continue.
4. Turnitin will send you an email to validate your account, with the subject: Set up your Turnitin Account. Return to your email inbox, ensuring you check your email client's spam or junk folder for this email.
5. Follow the instructions in your email to finish setting up your Turnitin account. This will direct you back to Turnitin's account setup pages.
Note: The create password URL contains a unique ID and will expire if you fail to click it within 24 hours. If your create password link is no longer working, click the link under Has your link expired? to request a new email.
6a. Enter and confirm your new password. Your password must be between 6 and 12 characters, containing at least one letter and one number.
6b. Click the Create Password button to finish the account setup process. Alternatively, click Cancel to abort.
7. Your account setup is now complete; an email will also be sent to confirm this setup. You can now log in to Turnitin to set your security question and answer and begin using the service.
Click the Log in Now link.
8. Using your email address and newly created password, enter this information in the login fields provided.
9. After login, you have the opportunity to amend your name and email address, should any of this information have been entered incorrectly.
9a. Please select a security question, then enter an answer in the fields provided. This will be used in the event that you need to reset your password.
9b. Click Next to continue.
10. Click the I Agree -- Continue button to accept Turnitin's user agreement and enter the Turnitin service. Alternatively, click I Disagree -- Logout.
If you are new to Turnitin and have not been added to an account by your instructor, you must create a student profile. To create your own student account, your class ID and class enrollment key are required.
Note: The class ID and class enrollment key is needed to ensure you have authorization to join a class, and can only be obtained from your instructor. Students wishing to access Turnitin must contact the appropriate personnel at the institution to receive the class ID and class enrollment key. Turnitin staff cannot distribute this information to any user.
Instructors may distribute this data or may add students to a Turnitin class themselves, which will send an automatic welcome email, allowing access to the account.
1. Go to www.turnitin.com and click on the Create Account link next to the Log In button
2. Click on student link
3. The Create a New Turnitin Student Account form must be completed to create a new student user account
4. Enter the class ID number and the case sensitive Turnitin class enrollment key
5. Enter the user first name, last name, and a valid e-mail address to use as the login for Turnitin
6. Create a user password. The user password must be between six and twelve characters long and contain at least one letter and one number. Re-enter the password to confirm it
7. Select a secret question from the drop-down menu. Enter the answer for the question. Remember and keep this information. The answer is case and space sensitive
8. Review the user agreement. To continue using Turnitin, click on I agree -- create profile
10. From the completed user profile creation page, click on Log in to Turnitin
Note: If step 6 indicates that the e-mail provided is already in Turnitin, there is an existing profile under the e-mail you entered. Please use the Resetting Your Password instructions, if the password has been forgotten, to gain access to the user profile if you had a previously existing Turnitin user profile, or use an alternate e-mail address for your Turnitin access.