Your institution's Turnitin license is valid up to a certain number of students. Once the student limit has been reached, no new students will be allowed to join your school's account (preventing them from submitting papers). When the limit is reached unexpectedly, it is possible that students may have created multiple accounts to enroll in the same class. Each student enrollment counts as a licensed Turnitin user. To view the student count for your school, log into your administrator account and click on the account name. The account status page will show the account's student limit, and the number of active students.
Your institution is licensed for set number of active student users. We define an 'active student' as a student who is currently enrolled in an active class. Once your account has reached it's student limit no new students will be allowed to join your school's account, meaning they will be unable to submit papers.
This is commonly due to student's creating multiple Turnitin accounts to submit to the same class. Each student enrollment counts against the total licensed Turnitin users.
You can check how close you are to your current student limits by looking at your account status. From the administrator homepage simply simply click on the account name you would like to find out more about to be taken to the account status page.
If the account status page shows numbers you were not expecting you can look deeper into this by downloading a list of all students enrolled on the account. The active student list for administrators is an Excel file that can be downloaded from within the Turnitin administrator's account list.
The list will show the names and email addresses of every student who is enrolled in at least one active class in the account and its sub-accounts. It will also show the active classes in which each student is enrolled, the names and email addresses of the instructors of those classes, and the account ID for the account the student is considered active in.
1. After logging into your Turnitin account as an administrator you will arrive at the Administrator Homepage
2. Click on the edit icon for your account
3. Click the download all student list option
4. You will be promoted to download the file. An XLS file will be downloaded containing a list of all students on your account. This list contains information about the student and any classes they are currently enrolled in.
Note: For accounts with more than12,000 students, a CSV file will be provided instead of the usual XLS file
It is possible that students may have enrolled multiple times on the same account. This could be because they have forgot their password or e-mail address and not used the normal ways of resetting a user account.
A student is able to request to merge multiple user accounts via the Turnitin Help Desk. In order to process this the student will have to prove that they are the owner of the accounts they are asking to be merged. When a student has enrolled multiple times in one class, and has submitted papers through multiple user accounts, we would recommend this option.
Note: Students in 'expired' classes do not count against your institution’s student limit.
Warning: If instructors do not expire outdated classes, students from a previous term still get counted towards your student limit. We recommend training your instructors to regularly create new classes each term, ensuring that inactive students are not counted against your student limit.
1. From the instructor homepage, click on the 'edit' icon of the class you'd like to expire.
2. Change the class end date to a date in the near future. The class will expire at 12:00 am on the date you have set.
Instructors are able to delete multiple enrollments from the same students in their classes. We only recommend this option when students have not submitted to the class yet or if the secondary accounts have not yet submitted.
1. From the instructor homepage click on the class name you would like to manage
2. From the top of the class homepage, click on the Student tab
3. The student tab will list all students currently enrolled in the class, review it for any duplicates
4. Click on the trash can 'drop' icon beside the student you would like to remove.
Warning: Dropping a student in this way will make any papers they have submitted unavailable
As only instructors can expire their own classes you can mass e-mail instructors on your account. We recommend providing a link to this guidance to your instructors. Only instructors can expire classes and drop students.
1. From the Administrator Homepage click on the instructor tab at the top of the page
2. You will be presented with a list of all instructors currently attached to the account. This includes students that use this account with an integration.
3. Click on the Email All button. Fill in the email you would like instructors to receive and click Send.
There are several methods that our customers have highlighted to us as being effective ways of managing their student numbers.
1. Have instructors make their students register for a Turnitin account within the first week of class (for example, making an assignment worth 1 point). This way, the instructor can guarantee that every student in the class who needs to use Turnitin, creates an account early in the term.
2. As soon as the week is out, or once everyone is registered, the instructor should 'Edit' the class settings and change the class enrollment password to the class, this will prevent students from being able to create a second account. As student can only create an account if they have both the class ID number and the class enrollment password they will then have to use their original account or contact the instructor directly.
3. The instructor can always look at the student roster list to confirm with the student which email and name were used to enroll in the class.
4. Alternatively, instructors can add students to a class themselves so that students never need a class ID number and enrollment password.
Note: Only Instructors can reduce the student count of their classes (not Administrators). Please allow 24 hours for changes in enrollment to be reflected in the student limit count.
As the Administrator for a Turnitin account you have the ability to audit the anonymous marking feature for classes that have it enabled. In classes with Anonymous Marking enabled student names will not be displayed to the instructor. They are able to turn off anonymous marking on a student by student basis. When an instructor removes the anonymous marking mask from a student they must supply a reason for doing so. You are able to view a log of this by clicking on the green tick anonymous marking icon from the administrator homepage for the relevant account.
1. From the Administrator Homepage click on the the green tick anonymous marking icon for the relevant account
2. The Anonymous Marking Administration page will display all instances where instructors have removed the anonymous marking mask from a student and the reason they supplied for doing so. You are able to export this list by click on the Export button. A .xls file will start to download.
When a student or instructor would like to request a paper to be deleted from our database they must make a request through their Turnitin Administrator. This is to ensure that the data privacy of all parties is respected.
All paper deletion requests must be submitted in writing by the administrator. This email should include the Class ID, assignment name and submission ID associated with the paper. The submission ID can be found on the digital receipt email sent after submission.