Source: Robert Clive, British East India Company officer, report to the company after defeating the ruler of Bengal and his French allies at Plassey, 1757.
The substance of the settlement with Mir Jafar* is as follows:
- 1. Mir Jafar will be the new viceroy of Bengal.
- 2. Mir Jafar and the East India Company will enter into an alliance with the Mughal Empire, against all enemies, including other Europeans such as the French.
- 3. The Bengali government will pay the Company for military expenses in this battle.
- 4. The Bengali government will compensate English subjects, Hindus, Muslims, Armenian Christians, and other natives who suffered during the latest battles.
- 5. Land around Calcutta will be given to our Company with permission to charge rents.
- 6. Mir Jafar will pay our Company's troops if he needs them in the future.
*Mir Jafar: Bengali general who defected to the British during the Battle of Plassey