For information on using the Turnitin Building Block as an instructor or student, please view the Instructor or Student Blackboard integration user manuals.
Warning: The Turnitin Building Block must be installed by the Blackboard administrator.
1. Log into Blackboard as an administrator user
2. Click on the System Admin tab in the top right-hand corner of any page.
3. On the System Admin page, click the Building Blocks link in the Building Blocks section
4. Click on the Installed Tools link
5. At the top of the Installed Tools page, click the Global Settings button
6. In the Global Settings screen, set the Custom Database Objects level to at least: Prompt each time a Building Block wants to create custom database objects.
Remember to click Submit to save your settings. Otherwise, click Cancel to go back.
After clicking Submit, a green box, advising you that your Global Settings have successfully updated, will appear at the top of the Installed Tools page.
7. Click the Upload Building Blocks button at the top of the page.
8. Click Browse to locate the Turnitin Building Block on your device.
9. Click Submit to install the Building Block. Otherwise, click Cancel to abort the installation.
10. You may be prompted to approve changes to the database. If so, click the Approve button or click Cancel to go back.
11. By clicking Approve, this will initiate the installation of the plugin. The installation will continue to run in the background even if you choose to leave this page.
12. On the right-hand side of the page, click Return to direct you the Installed Tools page.
11. In order for the Building Block to be configured, you must make the Turnitin Direct Assignment for Blackboard Building Block available from the list of Building Blocks on the Installed Tools page. To do this, hover over the right hand side of the Building Block title and click on the down arrow.
12. This will present a drop down menu. Select Set Available to make this Building Block available.
A green box will appear at the top of the Installed Tools page, confirming that you have made this Building Block 'Available'.
After the Building Block is set to available and has been configured, instructors on the account can begin using the Turnitin assignment type in their courses.
Note: To enable tools such as course recycle you will also have to navigate to System Admin > Tools and enable the options for Turnitin Direct Course Recycle and Relink.
Note: If the Turnitin Building Block is removed from available status, access to all Turnitin assignments and features for all users of the Building Block on the Blackboard installation will be disabled until the Building Block is returned to Available status.
1. Hover over the right-hand side of the Turnitin Direct Assignment for Blackboard Building Block title and click on the down arrow.
2. This will present a drop down menu. Select Settings from this list.
3. This will direct you to Turnitin Configuration Page, where you are required to enter the following information under Account Settings:
4. You will be presented with several Account Specific yes or no options:
4a. Choose whether to Enable Institutional Repository. Only enable this option if you have expanded repository options enabled for your account.
4b. Select whether to use Anonymous Marking. The default is No.
4c. Select whether to use e-rater® grammar check. Only enable this if you have e-rater enabled in your Turnitin account
4d. Choose whether to enable GradeMark in Assignments. Only enable this if you have GradeMark enabled in your Turnitin account. from the Enable GradeMark drop down menu.
4e. Choose whether to enable Translated Matching in assignments. Only enable this if you have Translated Matching enabled in your Turnitin account.
5. Next, you will be presented with Turnitin Direct Preferences:
5a. You may enter an optional agreement confirmation statement for student submissions.
5b. There are two options in the Default action for copied / imported courses option:
The Relink Turnitin Direct Assignments option retains the existing Turnitin class and user submissions when a course is archived or copied that contains Turnitin Direct assignments.
Note: This means there will potentially be two courses pointing to the same Turnitin Class / Assignments, meaning any changes or submissions made to one will affect the other. If you simply wish to re-use a class containing Turnitin Direct assignments, please see the Recycle option.
The Recycle Turnitin Direct Assignments option will take the existing Turnitin direct assignment data in a course that is being copied and uses the assignment data to create a new class in Turnitin and recreates all assignments that existed in this
course. The original class and submission data is retained in Turnitin but is no longer accessible via Blackboard.
5c. Choose how your would like your inbox to be displayed.
5d. Choose whether you would like to see students that have not submitted a part of their assignment yet in the Submissions Inbox.
5e. Select the relevant language for your institution
5f. Select whether or not you would like student submissions to be stored locally. To conserve disk space, set this option to No.
6. Student Data Privacy
7. Click Update Configuration in the bottom right-corner of the page to save any changes made to the Configuration settings.
8. Once the Building Block is configured, you must set the Turnitin entry availability to 'on'. Click on the System Admin tab in the top right-hand corner of any page.
9. Select Tools from the Tools and Utilities section.
10. Find Turnitin Direct Assignment for Blackboard from the list and change all Availability options to ON. A green light will then appear next to this option.
In order for this change to impact all new and existing courses and departments, select New and existing courses and departments from each 'Apply changes to...' dropdown list. Otherwise, if you would rather this change only impacts new courses, select New courses only.
11. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Submit to save these changes or click Cancel to abort the operation.
1. To add or update a language pack, click Tools at the top of the Configuration page; this will direct you to the Language Pack page.
2. Click Choose file to add or update a Blackboard Direct Language Pack. Language Packs will change the Blackboard Direct interface into a localized language. You can find more packs within the Blackboard Direct .war file. Once you have extracted this file you can find more language packs within the 'lang' folder.
3. Click the Choose File button and then locate the language pack from your computer. Once the language pack is selected, click Submit.
4. Click Submit to proceed or Cancel to go back.
Turnitin Direct does not support the ‘Copy into’ method if both courses already contain Turnitin Direct Assignments.