In this guide:
Obtain the plugin
Download the plugin
The Turnitin Integrity plugin is available for download directly from the Moodle plugin directory.
If the plugin is removed from your LMS, you will not be able to regain access to any old submissions or reports.
Keep an eye on the release notes page to know when you can install our latest updates. Every Moodle release is clearly flagged, and updates to the administrator tools are relevant to all administrator users. View the plugin page to see Moodle's latest plugin release date.
Install the plugin
The Moodle plugin is installed in the same way you would install any other Moodle plugin. For more information, view Moodle's guidance on installing a plugin.
Set up in Turnitin
Create an API scope and key
You must create a separate scope and key for every integration you create. If you have various environments in your organization, such as a development or sandbox environment, create a Scope for each of them.
Give each scope a unique name to easily identify it at a later date i.e. 'University of Turnitin Sandbox'.
- From the administrator area, select the Integrations tab. In this area, you'll find all of the current integrations active on the account.
- To set up a new integration, select the Generate API Scope button in the top right.
- Name your integration and select Next.
- Name your API Key and select Create and View. Another modal will appear confirming the creation of your key.
Your API key is presented in the form of a ‘Secret’. This string of alphanumeric characters is unique to your institution. You will need this ‘Secret’ to finish setting up your integration in your LMS. You will not be able to access your ‘Secret’ again so please make a note of it now
Managing existing setups
You can create multiple keys for your scope. To create more keys, select Create New Key to the right of your scope.
Once your scope has a key or keys, you can view them by selecting the arrow to the left of your scope.
You can change the status of your key using the switch.
If you turn the status of your key to ‘Off’, then you will no longer be able to set up an integration with this key. Any existing integrations using this key will no longer work while this key remains disabled.
Select the trash can to permanently delete a key.
Once you have deleted your key you cannot restore it. Any integrations you have set up using this key will no longer work.
Set up in Moodle
Log in to Moodle as an Administrator.
Navigate to the Administration side panel and select the Plugins option.
From Plugins, find the Plagiarism option.
Select the Turnitin Integrity plugin link.
There are several options on this page, but to get started you'll need to add the API URL and API Key.
The API URL is created by Turnitin for your organization, this is different for everyone. It will be in the format of https://[your institution].turnitin.com/api. For the University of Turnitin it would be https://universityofturnitin.turnitin.com/api
- The API Key is the long number you created in the previous step. This is a unique number to your integration so please don't share it.
Use the Test connection to Turnitin button to make sure everything works.
- There are several extra options on this page available to choose:
- Enable Turnitin Integrity for Assign allows you to use Turnitin with ordinary Moodle Assignments.
- Enable Turnitin Integrity for Forum allows you to use Turnitin with forum posts.
- Enable Turnitin Integrity for Workshop allows you to use Turnitin with Moodle Workshops.
- Enable Diagnostic Mode turns on a mode that will produce more verbose system logs that can be used for diagnostic purposes.
- Hide Student's Identity from Turnitin will anonymize student names within the Turnitin database.
- When you are finished, select the Save Changes button to save your configuration.
After configuration, a summary box will appear detailing all the relevant information for your new integration. This includes the search repositories currently used by your organization and any exclusion options that have been set. You can change these details in the next step.
Configure default account settings
- Log in to Moodle as an administrator.
- Navigate to the Administration side panel and find the Plugins section.
- From Plugins, find the Plagiarism option.
- Select the Turnitin Integrity plagiarism plugin link.
- Select the Setup tab.
- Select the Enable Turnitin checkbox.
- In this section, there are several optional settings that you can edit. This will alter the default settings for any assignments you create.
- Exclude from Similarity Reports automatically excludes bibliographies and/or quotes from the Similarity Reports.
- Submission Indexing adds files automatically to your organization's private repository. This makes them available to be matched against in Similarity Reports by other people within your organization.
Generate Similarity Reports determines the time between an upload and when a Similarity Report will be generated.
- Immediately: Similarity Reports will be generated immediately after the file has been submitted.
- Immediately and regenerate on due date: Similarity Reports will be generated immediately after the file has been submitted. They will be generated again on the due date of the assignment. This option can be used to check for collusion within a class.
- Due date: Similarity Reports will only be generated on the due date of the assignment.
- Student Access determines if students are able to see the Similarity Reports that are generated.
- Process draft submissions allows Similarity Reports to be generated for each draft of a submission.
- Allow instructors within your institution to view the full text of submissions for internal matches allows instructors to view the full text of the submission automatically when a match occurs within the same institution.
- Allow instructors within your institution to view submission information for internal matches reveals information about the matching paper when a match occurs within the same institution.
- Save viewer changes determines whether any changes to the Similarity Report, such as excluding content, will be saved after closing the viewer. For example, if a similarity score reduces from 80% to 70% after excluding the bibliography, the filter will remain in place after closing the viewer and 70% will be the new score.
- When you are finished, select the Save changes button.