In this guide:
The entire configuration of Turnitin can be done without logging into turnitin.com/turnitinuk.com. Because the configuration happens within Blackboard, the 'LTI configuration light' won't show as activated on the Integration Configuration screen when you log in.
Register LTI 1.3 in Blackboard
To register LTI 1.3 in Blackboard, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Administrator Panel (Admin in the left menu).
A Blackboard environment will only support one integration and account/sub-account. If you need to configure multiple Turnitin sub-accounts, you will have to create a Blackboard environment for each one.
- In the integrations menu, select LTI Tool Providers.
- In the top menu, select Register LTI 1.3 Tool.
- Enter the client ID and select Submit.
Client ID: 907b10a5-fbbe-4811-adbf-8ac3a40a2b34
Are you configuring Turnitin using a Turnitin sandbox account for testing purposes? Use this as the Tool Provider URI instead: https://sandbox.turnitin.com/api/lti/1p3/launch (Note: This is only when using a Turnitin sandbox account. If you're using an LMS sandbox or dev site, the URI listed above should be used.)
- The Tool Status section will automatically populate. Please ensure that this is the LTI tool you want to register.
- For the Tool Status setting, select Approved.
- In the Institution Policies section, the options in the User Fields to Send will all be set to blank by default. Select them all.
- Select Yes for both Allow grade service access and Allow Membership Service Access.
- Select Submit. You will see a banner indicating your registration within Blackboard has been successful.
Initialize the integration with Turnitin
To complete your registration, you will need to initialize the integration with Turnitin. To do this, the account administrator will need to create a new assignment.
- Close the Administrator Panel and navigate to the courses area (Courses in the left panel).
- You will need to select a course where you are enrolled as an instructor and create a new assignment.
If you are not enrolled in any courses, you will need to be added to an existing course or create a new one.
- If using Original view:
- Select the Turnitin LTI 1.3 tool from the Build Content area.
- If using Ultra view:
- Select the Turnitin LTI 1.3 tool from the Content Market area.
- This will launch Turnitin where you will need to fill in your Turnitin administrator credentials and select Sign In.
- Select the Turnitin account (or subaccount) that you would like to link with the tool, and then select Next.
- The Account ID and name will be shown and you will be asked to confirm that this is the account you wish to use for the LTI 1.3 integration. Select Confirm and Complete to complete the initialization.
This is a one-time action that needs to be completed by the account administrator in order to allow use of LTI 1.3. Neither your instructors or students will be prompted to do this.
For mapping roles in Blackboard, Turnitin only supports mapping to the Instructor or Student roles.
If a Student Information System (SIS) changes a student’s enrollment on an LMS course to either remove them or make them inactive, this could remove the student from the Turnitin assignment. If an institution has concerns around how their SIS may work with Turnitin, they should speak to their LMS provider to learn more about how details are shared with LTI tools.