- Navigate to the course you would like to add the assignment to.
- From the left-hand navigation, select Assignments and then select the + Assignment button.
- In the Canvas assignment fields, enter the Assignment Name, the Assignment Directions and the Points value. Choose the Assignment Group (if applicable) and choose the Display Grade as format.
- For Submission Type select Online from the dropdown. Then, check the boxes for Text Entry or File Uploads (or both).
If you want to ensure that students are submitting file in which Turnitin can generate a similarity report, choose to Restrict Upload File Types to readable text files such as pdf, doc, docx, pptx, etc.
- Choose the number of submission attempts you want to give to your students.
- Select Turnitin from the Plagiarism Review dropdown menu.
- Choose to store papers in the repository or not, choose to which repositories you want to compare the submissions, choose to exclude the bibliography, quoted material, translated matching (if enabled), and small sources as needed.
- Choose to add e-rater spelling and grammar suggestions to the submissions.
- Choose if you would like to Save these settings as default settings and when you want to show the Similarity Report to students.
- Choose if this is going to be a Group Assignment, if you want to use Canvas Peer Review, and if you want to enable Anonymous Grading.
If you choose to use Group Assignments, all members of the group will be able to see the Similarity Report even if they did not submit the file themselves.
- Assign this to Everyone or Everyone Else to ensure the due date is reflected in Turnitin. Choose a Due Date, Available from date, and an Until date as needed.
It is best practice to enter in a due date for collusion check to occur. On the due date of the assignment, all submissions are compared against one another to check for collusion.
- Select Save & Publish to publish this assignment. Select Save to save the assignment.