This integration currently has limited availability to those participating in the early access program.
In this guide:
- Enabling the feature for all users
- Option 1: Adding to an existing LTI 1.3 setup
- Option 2: Creating a new LTI 1.3 setup
- Experiencing issues with the setup?
- Restricting access to the service via Institutional Hierarchy
Enabling the feature for all users
In order to use the Blackboard Ultra Assignment integration, the Asset Processor in Institution feature needs to be enabled. To enable this feature:
- Log in to Blackboard as an administrator.
- From the left sidebar, select Admin.
- Under The Ultra experience is here! section, select the Configure button.
- Scroll down to the Available Features section.
- Expand the Asset Processor in Institution section and toggle the option on.
- Expand the Flexible Grading UI section and toggle the option on.
Adding to an existing LTI 1.3 setup
- In Blackboard, go into the Administrator Panel, find the Integrations section and select LTI Tool Providers.
- Check the client ID associated with your existing Turnitin Feedback Studio LTI 1.3 registration. Locate your Turnitin tool and select the downward arrow to expand the context menu. Select the Edit option.
- You will see one of the following:
- Global client ID: 907b10a5-fbbe-4811-adbf-8ac3a40a2b34
UK client ID: 39739bb5-c79e-437c-ab88-6b23b01dc095
- Choose the option to Register LTI 1.3/Advantage Tool and re-enter the same client ID to update your existing integration. This will refresh your current registration to ensure that it has the most recent updates.
If when re-registering you see an error that looks similar to the image below...
Check if a registration named lti.int.turnitin.com exists:
If this registration is found within the list:
- You will see one of the following:
- You will need to delete this registration to complete the set-up of the new integration. Make sure to only delete the registration named lti.int.turnitin.com. Do not delete the registration named Turnitin Feedback Studio.
- Following the deletion of the lti.int.turnitin.com registration, you will need to complete the process of re-registration again, as described in the section above.
This is an issue for institutions with older LTI 1.3 registrations that have not been recently updated to include an additional new domain lti.int.turnitin.com. For this reason a fake registration lti.int.turnitin.com might be created within the list of LTI Tool Providers in Blackboard Learn due to some of the recent additions to the Turnitin Feedback Studio LTI 1.3 external tool, such as the Assignment Copy tool. When using the Assignment Copy tool Blackboard Learn would be looking to associate the assignments with the new domain that does not exist, and rather than erroring out, a fake lti.int.turnitin.com registration is automatically created.
- Following the re-registration of the LTI Tool, go to the Manage Placements for the registration and select Synchronize Placements. This should bring through the new Asset Processor placement.
Creating a new LTI 1.3 setup
- If your institution does not currently have the Turnitin LTI 1.3 external tool enabled, please follow the first section of our configuring Feedback Studio in Blackboard LTI 1.3 guidance.
- Then, initialize the integration by enabling Turnitin on a test Ultra Assignment and follow the instructions to login to Turnitin and select the appropriate account that you would like to link to this integration.
Experiencing issues with the setup?
If the above steps are not successful, this may be related to a conflict with an older Turnitin Feedback Studio registration being used alongside a newer Gradescope registration where both are attempting to use the same domain. Please contact the Turnitin support team and they will be able to help assist with next steps, as this will require an update to be made to the Turnitin registration.
Restricting access to the service via Institutional Hierarchy
- After the tool is enabled and deployed (see steps above), as an administrator, access Institutional Hierarchy from the Administrator Panel.
- If the node does not exist, select Create Node and add a name for your node. Select Submit. Visit the Learn help page for Institutional Hierarchy to learn more about how it works in Learn.
- Select the appropriate Node and the required Child Node.
- Select Tools within the child node and search for Turnitin.
- As an administrator or node administrator you can now change the Availability from On to Off. Selecting the Padlock icon allows the enforcement of this On or Off state for the Node.